Plant Hire, Sales & Service
Ensure the promotion of and compliance with Health and Safety. To carry out Plant fitting maintenance as required.
All workshop based staff (including Mobile Fitter, Fitters, Service Engineers, Electricians, Apprentices, Labourers, Yardpersons)
Other regular contacts within the organisation
• All Branch staff & Hire Desk
• Asset Manager
• Parts Department
• Repair Centre Management
• QHSE Department
Health and Safety
1. Adhere to the company’s QHSE procedures at all times.
2. Co-ordination of, and attendance at, regular & routine inspections of all lifting equipment with our nominated insurers as determined by the Lifting Operations and Lifting Equipment Regulations (LOLER).
3. All Safety Sampling is correctly carried out on a month basis and this to include certain Toolbox Talks when required.
4. To ensure that all company administration, quality assurance and health and safety policies are fully adhered to and that all activities are carried out in full compliance both with our policies and relevant statutory legislation.
5. To be responsible for ensuring a high standard of housekeeping within the workshop, yard and surrounding areas including keeping your own working environment clean and tidy (whether on customer’s or Selwood sites).
6. To set a professional example of good workmanship, management, discipline and ensure that all Company property and equipment is maintained to the required Company and manufacturers standard to prevent any accident or injury to any person or damage to Company property.
7. Have open communication with the Branch Manager with regards to material expenditure.
8. To procure parts and spares where necessary to make sure equipment is available to hire as soon as possible within the approved authority limits
9. Ensure clear, open and effective working relationships and channels of communication are maintained.
10. Suggest improvements to work methods, systems, procedures and equipment that is likely to reduce waste and cost and ensure the implementation of those improvements when approved.
11. Ensure that all the necessary administration and records required for the control of work within the department is accurately completed and submitted to the Branch Manager in a timely manner.
12. Maintain records, returns and other administration in line with Company procedures and guidelines.
13. To accept in an emergency after hour telephone calls so as to maintain twenty-four-hour cover when required.
Supervision (to include training)
14. Adhere to and promote the company’s Core Values and Mission Statement.
15. In conjunction with Branch Manager, control of overtime within set limitations as set by the Director / Branch Manager.
16. Supervise, monitor-approved workshops training programmes for staff as necessary.
17. Assist with the continuous training and development and performance of all workshop staff.
18. To be responsible for the performance quality and standard of work produced by all workshop staff.
19. With the Branch Managers involvement select, interview, evaluate and employ any additional or replacement workshop staff.
20. To Job Chat all direct subordinates in line with company policies and ensure that all employees recruited demonstrate a suitable level of competence to perform their duties safely and effectively.
21. To liaise with the Branch Manager when any performance related or disciplinary issues occur with the workshop staff.
22. To understand and interpret work to relevant instructions and technical information available, so as to carry out all tasks in the most efficient and safe manner.
23. Manage and maintain the programme of maintenance, calibration, thorough examination, repair and service of equipment.
24. To ensure all notice of damage is communicated to the hire office within one working day of the equipment returning from hire.
25. Progress any outstanding material requirements required for work in hand optimising maximum utilisation.
26. To ensure warranties are processed correctly, both internal and external.
27. To ensure all Company service vehicles are clean and maintained to the Company standards.
The main responsibilities are outlined above. The role may also require occasional travel to other branches or customer sites. This is not a definitive list and other tasks/ activities may be necessary, as the Company’s commercial activities require.
Qualifications and experience
• City & Guilds Craft Certificate, NVQ Level 3 in Plant Maintenance or equivalent.
• CITB National Construction College Certificate in Test and Inspection (includes the Thorough Examination of Plant).
• Must have working knowledge & understanding of the LOLER regulations.
• Must have good working knowledge of relevant Health & Safety and Transport legislation.
• Must be able to: - plan and organise effectively, interpret & follow statutory procedures, keep accurate detailed records using internal software &Microsoft Office, use effective communication with the ability to persuade and influence people and give and receive feedback.
• IT competent
• Effective communication skills
• Time management
• Ability to demonstrate initiative