UK: 023 8026 6311 | International: +44 (0)23 8025 0137

History

Selwood our History

William SelwoodThe William R. Selwood story began in post World War Two Britain – a country facing an incredibly vast programme of rebuilding and rehabilitation, a programme that demanded enormous resources of construction plant and equipment and which offered opportunities to far-sighted businessmen with practical experience of site machinery.

 

One such was a Welshman from Neath – William R. Selwood.

 

2012 Selwood has secured a five year national contract for pump hire with British Waterways
2011 To celebrate 65 years in business Selwood raised £65k for charity
2010 Avant wheeled loaders added to the fleet
2009 Largest ever single pump orders secured to the value of $3.5m
2008 Selwood acquires Proplant
2007 Selwood pumps come to the UK’s aid amidst flooding
2006 Celebrates 60th anniversary and raises £60k for charity
2005 Selwood accredited to 14001 and holds all three recognised quality,safety and environmental standards
2004 New range of Super Silent pumps launched
2002 Buyback of 3i’s stake reverting Selwood to 100% management ownership
2001 Selwood acquires Pyramid Plant
2000 Reverts back to the Selwood name at the start of the new millenium
1999 Palmers sold leading to 2nd management buyout
1998 Selwood Storm pump gains SED award
1997 Anglia Pumps and G+H McGill acquired
1995 Pascon acquires MK pump hire
1994 Management buyout of Pascon
1983 BTR acquires the Tilling group
1982 Tilling group creates PASCON by merging Palmers, Selwood & Croker
1979 Seven more branches opened
1977 Queens Award for industry
1975 Peter Selwood killed in plane crash
1972 Selwood sold to Thomas Tilling Limited
1971 Spate gets Industrial Design Award
1968 William R. Selwood dies aged 55yrs. Peter Selwood appointed Technical Director
1965 3” Spate pump introduced
1961 Press invited to see “Orbital Engine”
1959 First branch opens at Exeter. Drott skid shovels purchased
1952 Selwood expands into plant hire and obtains Benford agency
1951 Selwood becomes a limited company
1947 Selwood moves to old school site at Chandler’s Ford (present HQ)
1946 William R. Selwood founded in West End Southampton